2018 Election Opens
Do you want to play an active role in shaping and building a strong future for Australia’s ecosystem science community? Then consider nominating for the Ecosystem Science Council.
Anyone from the Australian ecosystem science community is welcome to self-nominate to become a member of the Council. Nominations are open now, and will close Wednesday, 31 October 2018. In 20186, there are five (of eleven) places on Council vacant.
- Dr Neville Barrett (completing)
- Dr Emma Burns (completing)
- Prof Jenny Davis (completing)
- A/Prof Torsten Thomas (completing)
- Prof Glenda Wardle (re-nominating)
Neville, Emma, Jenny, Torsten and Glenda have all played an invaluable role in advancing Foundations for the future, and we are incredibly grateful for their hard work, leadership, and vision on Council.
Incoming Council members will serve for a four-year term commencing in January 2019, and will be selected through a two-part process:
- An open vote for the candidates by registered voters throughout the Australian ecosystem science community. This vote is used to identify the first half of the required members of the Council (in 2016, the vote will determine three of the five member places available).
- After this, to help ensure diversity and balance across the Council, the sitting Council* will identify the final two members from amongst the remaining candidates.
You can read more about the selection process in the Terms of Reference. This process was chosen to ensure there is openness and transparency in selecting Council members, and to ensure the Council has the support and mandate of the wider ecosystem science community. The vote itself will occur in mid November 2018.
Nominations for the Ecosystem Science Council are due by Wesdayday 31 October 2018. Anyone from the Australian ecosystem science community is invited to self-nominate to become a member of the Council. Click here to find out more about the nomination process.
Voter registration will be open until Friday 9 November 2018. Anyone who identifies as a part of the Australian ecosystem science and management communities is invited to register to vote in the selection of Council members. Registered voters will be provided with information about the nominees at least one week prior to the vote, and will vote using a secure online election process. Click here to register to vote.
[*NB - this step will only involve continuing and departing members of Council. If any Council members are re-nominating through the election process, they will not participate in this step.]