2018 Election of the Ecosystem Science Council
According to the Terms of Reference for the Ecosystem Science Council, the Council's membership will be refreshed every two years with half of Council places becoming open at that time. In 2018, there are five Council members who will be completing their terms:
- Dr Neville Barrett (completing)
- Dr Emma Burns (completing)
- Prof Jenny Davis (completing)
- A/Prof Torsten Thomas (completing)
- Prof Glenda Wardle (re-nominating)
Neville, Emma, Jenny, Torsten and Glenda have all played an invaluable role in advancing Foundations for the future, and we are incredibly grateful for their hard work, leadership, and vision on Council.
Please read below for more information about how the Council elections will work:
As well as describing the Council's role and purpose, the Terms of Reference for the Council outline what it's membership should look like, and how that membership will be selected. You can read the Terms of Reference for the Council here.
The inaugural Council was formed in early 2015. The Terms of Reference highlight that each two years, approximately half of the places on Council should be opened for election. Read below for more about this process.
Council members are selected through a two-part process:
- An open vote for the candidates by registered voters throughout the Australian ecosystem science community. This vote is used to identify the first half of the required members of the Council (in 2018, the vote will determine four of the five member places available).
- After this, to help ensure diversity and balance across the Council, the sitting Council* will identify the final two members from amongst the remaining candidates.
This process was chosen to ensure there is openness and transparency in selecting Council members, and to ensure the Council has the support and mandate of the wider ecosystem science community.
The vote itself occurs 19-23 November 2018. See below for timeline.
[*NB - this step will only involve continuing and departing members of Council. If any Council members are re-nominating through the election process, they will not participate in this step.]
Nominations for the Ecosystem Science Council open on Monday 1 October and close on Wednesday 31 October 2018.
Anyone from the Australian ecosystem science community is invited to self-nominate to become a member of the Council.
Voter registration opens on Monday 1 October and closes on Friday 9 November 2018.
Anyone who identifies as a part of the Australian ecosystem science and management communities is invited to register to vote in the selection of Council members. Registered voters will be provided with information about the nominees at least one week prior to the vote, and will vote using a secure online election process.
The 2018 Ecosystem Science Council election will run from October - December 2018.