Voter registration open
Registration is open to vote in the 2016 election of members to the Ecosystem Science Council.
Anyone who identifies as a part of the Australian ecosystem science and management communities is invited to register to vote in the selection of Council members. Registered voters will be provided with information about the nominees at least one week prior to the vote, and will vote using a secure online election process. Voter registration will be open until late October.
About the Council election
The inaugural Ecosystem Science Council was formed in early 2015. The Terms of Reference state that every two years, approximately half of the places on Council should be opened for election. There are five Council members who will be finishing their terms at the end of 2016:
- Prof Alan Andersen (re-nominating)
- Dr Alex Kutt (completing)
- Dr Pauline Mele (re-nominating)
- Dr Steve Morton (re-nominating)
- Prof Stuart Phinn (re-nominating)
Alan, Alex, Pauline, Steve, and Stuart have all made invaluable contributions to the work of Council over the last two years and we are incredibly grateful for their hard work, leadership, and vision.
Incoming Council members will serve for a four-year term commencing in January 2017, and will be selected through a two-part process:
- An open vote for the candidates by registered voters throughout the Australian ecosystem science community. This vote is used to identify the first half of the required members of the Council (in 2016, the vote will determine three of the five member places available).
- After this, to help ensure diversity and balance across the Council, the sitting Council* will identify the final two members from amongst the remaining candidates.
You can read more about the selection process in the Terms of Reference. This process was chosen to ensure there is openness and transparency in selecting Council members, and to ensure the Council has the support and mandate of the wider ecosystem science community.
Nominations to join Council closed on Friday 14 October 2016. The vote itself will occur in early November 2016.
You can read more about the process to select new Council members here. If you have any questions, please contact us.
[*NB - this step will only involve continuing and departing members of Council. If any Council members are re-nominating through the election process, they will not participate in this step.]